National Cherry Blossom Festival

This year’s Cherry Blossom Festival begins Sunday, March 20 and runs through April 17. The Cherry Blossom Festival Parade will be help on April 16, from 10AM – Noon. More information…

Octagon House

The Octagon house is one of the oldest houses in downtown Washington, D.C. The often and easily overlooked house is a beautifully maintained example of an 18th Century house. The Octagon House, at 1799 New York Avenue NW, is actually 6-sided and was designed by William Thornton who also designed the Capital Building, and built … Continue reading “Octagon House”

200th Anniversary of the Battle of Ft. McHenry

After burning the Nation’s capital, the British head north to Baltimore and stay there from Sept 11-17, 1814. From Sept 13-14, 1814, Fort McHenry was under attack. It was during that time that F.S. Key wrote the Star Spanglaed Banner. There are many activities taking place this year throughout Maryland in remembrance of this (second) … Continue reading “200th Anniversary of the Battle of Ft. McHenry”

Washington Monument Opening Stairs for Walkdown Tours this Fall

The Washington Monument reopened in May 2014 after a 33-month long renovation following the August 2011 earthquake that damaged the memorial. Now, the NPS is also going to open the stairs! The NPS announced that starting this month, September, tickets will be available for purchase through for $15 ($12 with a $3 handling fee) … Continue reading “Washington Monument Opening Stairs for Walkdown Tours this Fall”