Statue: George Washington Equestrian Statue
Location: At the entrance to the Olmsted Woods Walk; at the bottom of the Pilgrim Steps
Sculptor: Herbert HaseltineUnveiling: February 22, 1959
Cost: Gift. Donated by James Sheldon
On the anniversary of his birthday, George Washington was honored at the National Cathedral with the dedication of an equestrian statue. The statue was donated to the National Cathedral by James Sheldon a New York philanthropist and sculpted by Herbert Haseltine, an American sculptor living in Paris.
Cathedral Dedicates Washington’s Statue, The Washington Post and Times Herald, February 23, 1959, pg. B1